Tuesday 16 August 2011

The First Guinea Pig

After we had Cooper for a few weeks, we decided we would get him the bigger cage at the pet store like we originally had planned. So back we went to the pet store on the 29th of June 2010, to buy the cage and a couple other bunny supplies.
Of course, the pet store had lots of cute animals, and my mum and two brothers took a fancy to the guinea pigs...
Now, this isn't the typical pet shop story, where everyone falls in love with the ball of cuteness and wants to bring it home, well its partly like that; everyone did fall in love with the guinea pigs and the thought of owning one - except for me!

I didn't want a guinea pig, if we were to add to our family, I wanted another rabbit to keep Cooper company, but of course the shop assistants were no help and they convinced my mum and brothers that a guinea pig and rabbit can be friends. They all told me that they would mind him, clean him out, feed him and care for him. So in the end I gave up convincing them not to get the guinea pig and left it up to them.

Mum went up, called the girl down and asked what guinea pigs they have, she showed her a pretty white girl, and then brought her over to another cage, lifted up a pigloo and grabbed a young, scared boy out of it. The girl popped him into the box and he became part of the fur family.

From the moment that we got out to the car to home, the box was passed to me and all ownership of the little guinea was left to me - from that second on I was the minder of this guinea pig even after all my brothers said.

His first picture

A few weeks after getting him

I managed to convince my two brothers and mum how rabbits and guinea pigs are not ment to be kept together and thankfully they believed me.

At first I was scared of the little guy, I remember taking him out of the box to put him in Coopers old cage and when I touched him, I jumped back a little. I was scared to hold him, and he was even more frightened which made it worse. For the first few cage cleaning times, I had to get mum to empty the cage before I would clean it as I didn't want to touch any of his stuff.
All that did quickly change though, I remember the very first time that I actually did get attached to him, I was sitting in the corner of the room, hoping that Chester would come out of his pigloo and when he did, he wheeked and popcorned.

It was that first wheek, the first popcorn that gave guinea pigs a part of my heart forever.


1 comment: