Saturday 20 August 2011

Finally Friends and Gentle Giants

I wanted my three rabbits to become a trio as rabbits are best kept together. To make bonding alot easier I got Cooper, Marley and Dexter all neutered together. Thankfully it all went well and when they had all healed and all the hormones were gone I put them together in the hope I would get a trio or at least a pair.
I had to supervise them 24/7 for three days and then watch them very closely after that. There was alot of full on fights, nipping, hair pulling, cuts, attacking, mounting, chasing and all sorts. The first few days went well but after a while Cooper got depressed about being in a trio and the others picked up on it and started attacking him so I choose to separate Cooper from the pair before it got worse. I was still delighted though that Dexter and Marley finally had a friend to be with.

I felt bad separating Cooper from the others, and I always said that I would really consider getting another rabbit if one of the boys were left alone. It just so happened that the day before I had to separate Cooper I saw an add online for Flemish giant rabbits for sale. It had been my dream to own a Flemish giant rabbit for ages and I was considering it, when Coopers bond didn't work it gave me another reason to get the Flemish giant.

A few emails and a phone call later, I arranged to meet the owners or the rabbits and convinced the family that this rabbit was the right thing to do. So we went to view them and they had an amazing set up. These are the pictures from the add.

It was hard to choose one to get, but in the end we took a beautiful eight week old blue girl home. We named her Willow and from day 1 she sure was a gentle giant.  We are hoping that when Willow is old enough to get spayed, she will eventually bond with Cooper.


1 comment: